What is a simple joy?
Simple joy comes from within. It is not measured with money nor with luxurious things in life. It is deep and is unshakeable. Here, I will be sharing with you the ways to find joy.
You might be asking me now these questions.
Is it possible to find joy, and yet you don’t have most of the things that make a person happy? Yes, it is. Can I have joy even my pocket is empty? Yes, you can. But how can you say so? I have seen my colleague bought a new car, and it brought him an amazing feeling. He said he couldn’t ask for more. If I would buy a car, then I can be as happy as him, too.
Well, think about this. If your colleague lost his job unexpectedly, he will feel downhearted and depressed. Should he buy another car to be happy again? Well, unless he is able. If not, then, I can say that buying a car only brought him a short term happiness, and that will soon fade.
But a person, who enjoys simple things like listening to music, indulging himself in that famous milk tea in town, watching the popular teledrama on television every night, when suddenly lost a job, will feel sad but still grateful.
Why grateful? After losing a job, he can still listen to music as much as he wants. He can still go to his favorite milk tea shop. He can still watch that teledrama if he wishes to. He already found joy from simple things, and having that joy is a constant feeling. Whether or not he can buy a car, he is still joyful.
There are a lot of reasons for disappointments. To understand joy is to know that it is a process that needs the acknowledgment of a particular circumstance. A person must accept the situation, engage himself in small things that bring joy or simple pleasure, and appreciate the feeling created from such pleasant activity.
How can we turn a painful circumstance to finding simple joys and then be grateful in the end?
First, acknowledge the pain. I can say it is not easy to accept the unpleasant event in life. Especially if it talks about losing something or someone very important to you. It can’t happen in an instant nor done forcefully. But one should of course recognize the loss.
Focusing on what you have and what you are still capable of doing plays a role in the acknowledgment process. Cry if you must. If you want to be silent, so be it. Give yourself enough time for realization. Let acceptance happens naturally. Until such time you can tell yourself this grief is finally over.
When done, get out of your room, tell the world that you are now ready to engage yourself in small pleasurable ways to find simple joy in life.
Here are the 80 ways to find simple joy in Life:
- Read some bible scriptures
- Drink your favorite brand of coffee
- Lean your arms on the rail of your balcony and enjoy the fresh air
- Walk in the park
- Listen to your favorite music
- Watch your favorite show on TV
- Play fetch with your dog
- Hum while taking a shower
- Take selfie photos
- Go to bed early
- Put on your favorite sneakers
- Sketch or draw
- Drink hot tea
- Wear your favorite shirt
- Restyle your hair
- Video chat with your best friend
- Visit an old friend’s house
- Sneak out some potato chips from your grocery cabinet
- Match your potato chips with cola
- Shop online through Amazon, Lazada, Shopee, and others within your budget
- Compose a song
- Write a poem
- Watch some “how to’s” videos on YouTube
- Edit your photo using some apps
- Wear a red lipstick on for a change
- Eat your favorite ice cream
- bake pizza from scratch
- Go fishing
- Ride a bike
- Drink hot chocolate on cold days
- Pick some fresh flowers in the garden and placing on a vase to your table
- Try yoga
- Share your home-cooked meals with your neighbor
- Take a nap
- Sing your favorite teledrama theme song
- Play board games
- Buy anything for you, not the expensive one
- Jog along the neighborhood early in the morning
- Light up an aromatherapy candle inside your bedroom
- Get rid of some of your stuff and give them to the needy
- Talk to your plants
- Do some bedroom makeover
- Harvest some vegetables from your mini garden
- Cook hot pot in winter
- Treat yourself for a body massage
- Climb the roof and enjoy the moon and the stars at night
- Shower in the rain
- Jump in puddles
- Bake some bread or cookies
- Look at your photos from the old photo albums
- Eat a burger
- Dip your fries in ice cream
- Read a novel
- Watch some science fiction movies
- Ask grandma how to crochet and try it
- Repair old things in your house
- Write a story
- Learn some new skills
- Feed birds
- Create a dish
- Jump rope
- Plant vegetables in the yard
- Do some exercises at home
- Take a warm bath
- Change your mobile case
- Do some window shopping
- Hug your children
- Rearrange your furniture
- Share a funny story with a friend
- Watch the sunrise every morning
- Play guitar or any musical instruments
- Try out some 3D nail art for your nails
- Change your workstation at home if you are a freelancer.
- Putt plants indoor
- Set up ideas on your aquarium to make a beautiful fish tank
- Help others
- Connect with old friends
Appreciate the feeling of joy after involving yourself in these simple ways to find joy. No matter how small something is, recognize its value because somehow, that thing brought you joy and made you smile. Be thankful. Gratitude will be reflected in your character upon showing appreciation and gratefulness. Return kindness to people. Kindness begets joy.
Be grateful to God as He still gives you an opportunity to experience joy. God is so great. Despite the fact the He allows us to experience pain and despair, He still gives us the wisdom to regain the lost strength brought about by the painful circumstance. In prayer, tell God how blessed you are that He is there in every second of your life.
Praise the Lord.
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
his love endures forever.